Welcome to the January 100 Rupee Quiz.
If you are interested to attempt this quiz without looking at the answers, go to this page which has only the questions.
Quiz 4 – January 1st
1)Identify the guy on the right, who has recently gained notoriety for a different avatar. Maybe his fingers would give you a clue.
Sasha Baron Cohen alias Ali G alias BORAT
2) Identify the beach. This photo was taken after the 2004 tsunami. 1 more point for identifying where the photo was taken from. Google Earth might help you in this.
Marina Beach in Chennai. The photo was taken from the Light House nearby
3)This is the paypal logo. The story goes that one person was called for an interview at PayPal and asked to show his skills by designing a logo. He designed the logo below which is continued to be used as the PayPal logo even today. He cleared the interview and was offered the job as Paypal’s first designer. This guy went on to create something more famous. His “creation” was taken over by another giant and in the process he became very rich (well, the money is yet to come to him). Who is he and what did he “create”?
CHAD MEREDITH HURLEY, one of the founders of youtube.com
4) The official website of BITS,Pilani is http://www.bits-pilani.ac.in. What does “ac” stand for?
ac stands for academic institutions
5)Where would you find a mail from Buck after he comes back from Hawaii, a mail from Caitlin Roran about a surprise party, a mail from Susan about plans for having sushi and a mail from Nathan wood about barbeque on Saturday?
On the opening page of gmail.com in the advertisement for Gmail on the Mobile Phone
6) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently declared June 29th as the National ____ day.
National Statistics Day
7) All of us might know Bond, James Bond. Where would you find Bai, presented Bai?
On V-India channel. Her ads/clips are excellent!
8) A product Y was also nicknamed X’s Little wonder. X is the CEO of the company making the product Y. Identify X and Y.
Stevie’s Little wonder – The Ipod
9) Jim W Burke c Cowdrey b Tony Lock for 22 runs in a match between England and Australia. What is the significance of this one wicket?
The only wicket which Jim Laker didn’t take in that test match. He took the other 19 wickets!
10) Three other names which were rejected were New Judea , Judea and Zion. What was the name finally decided upon ?
11) In 1988, to commemorate the 100th year of the birth Jawaharlal Nehru, what was introduced with the name being a hindi translation of “100th year”?
12) What is the nickname given to the technology where GPS enabled cellphones help parents track their kids whereabouts ?
13) What is the word being searched for in google (click on the pic below to see a bigger version).
14) Who are the three australian cricketeers who are retiring from International test Cricket at the end of the current Ashes series?
Warne, Langer and Mc Grath
15) What is the cleaim to fame of the beach marked below ?
Kappad Beach, the place where Vasco Da Gama Landed
16) All of them started at Changan, then went through the Gansu corridor finally reaching Taklimakan. Some of the variations passed through Yumen Guan, Gobi desert and the city of Loulan. What are we talking about ?
17) How do we better know the lady in the middle? This is a photo from one of the plays she acted in, but she is much more popular for a character she “assumes” on TV.
Anuradha Menon a.k.a Lola Kutty of Channel V
18) Connect the two “gods” below to get a term in science.
Aurora Borealis from Aurora – Goddess of Dawn and Boreas – God of the North Wind
19) Which are the two countries which joined the EU on 1st January 2007?
Romania and Bulgaria
20) A 47 year old journalist, a 44 year old actress/writer, a 23 year old former beauty queen, a 61 year old actor, a 22 year old rock singer, a 29 year old singer/actor, a 19 year old football agent, a 25 year old reality TV star and her mom, Michael Jackson’s brother, a 27 year old singer, a 79 year old film director, a 58 year old Singer/Songwriter and a 31 year old actress from Mumbai. Who is this actress from Mumbai?
Shilpa Shetty – All the ones above are from the latest edition of Big Brother
21) Identify the sport being played.
Buzkashi – from Afghanistan
22) Connect the images below. I have given only few images of the many others required for the complete connect.
Origin of the Modern English Alphabet. Check this page.
23) Identify the three people in this photograph.
President George W. Bush, Presidents Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan and Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan
25) Given below is a photo of a couple. Identify their daughter, who was recently involved in a controversy?
Santhi Soundarajan, who failed a gender test, after having won a silver medal in the 800 m event at the Asian Games
26) Identify this famous place.
Famous, but not famous enough to identify! The place is Pearl Harbour!
27) Consider this situation. A batsman is facing a bowler known to be the best leg spinner in the world. This bowler
does not bowl wrong ones or straighter ones, just his usual dangerous leg spinners. He bowls one such leg spinner and the batsman brings his front foot forward and tries to play it. But, he misses the ball and the ball hits him on the full on his foot which is in direct line of the stumps around 3 foot in front of the stumps. It was obvious that the ball would have spun and missed the off stump by a long way had he left the ball, but the umpire declared him out because of a peculiar clause in the rules of LBW. What ?
If the balls hits on the full, the laws say that the umpire has to assume that it will continue in its same trajectory and not turn.
28) The Pug breed of dogs have recently become very popular in India and the price of that breed has gone up tremendously. Why ?
After appearing in the Hutch Ads
29) Kaiserbad spa in the town of Kerlovy Vary in the Czech Republic recently took the name of something else. What?
The Casino in Casino Royale
30) Chatham islands (some say Kiribati) are the first and Samoa is the last. In what?
To welcome the new year!
Hope you enjoyed the quiz.